It only takes one

So being a nursing student is a really big struggle, trying to juggle university, work, exams and placement. But one experience I had during my second year of placement made it all worthwhile. The tears I cried over exams, the tiredness and hours I lost trying to remember pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, the panic and fear of making a mistake while on placement all drained away because of one patient and reminded me why I was doing this in the first place.

I was working with the community physiotherapy team and I noticed a little child waving at me. I waved back, thinking he was just another friendly child however as he spoke to me, it became obvious to me that this child knew me from somewhere. He looked up at me and asked me “Do you remember me?” and as you can imagine, my brain was trying to recall and place a name to this face however I drew a complete blank. Before I had a chance to answer him, he told me “You were the nurse that looked after me when I was sick last year”. That’s when all the memories came flooding back to me. He was a fantastic patient and I loved looking after him. I had only spent two days with this child however I had spent a lot of time with him before he was discharged. He was a child who had all the nurses crying with laughter and smiling throughout the whole of his stay.

I think that this has been the biggest compliment I have received till date. “I remember who you are” Is more than just I remember you. To me, it means you looked after me so well that I didn’t forget you. It means you are doing something right. It means that I was more than just a nurse who gave medication and physically treated you. I was ecstatic for the rest of the week. That one comment made me feel like all my hard work was worth it. I have always worked hard and tried to do my best because for me nursing isn’t just a job, it’s a life. To be told I was a great nurse by someone I looked after more than a year ago is the best reward I could ever get.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment