Too posh to Wash?

As I have made clear before, I love what I do and I love being challenged by my placements in order to gain more knowledge, however there is one thing that really irritates 



I feel that nursing is where you work with your head, heart and hands. It’s a demanding and rewarding career and I could not imagine myself working in any other field. As a student, I have never refused to provide basic nursing care for my patients. I have always worked along health care assistants and other staff nurses, trying to learn more from them. No nurse should ever think that they are above providing basic care. All too often, nurses delegate jobs to nursing assistants because the nurses feel they shouldn't have to do them. If we choose to parcel off those elements of nursing care that we think are distasteful or beneath us, we'll be left with a fragmented outlook on patient care

When I first started my course, I really wanted to learn everything I could, start from the basics. Every morning I did the cares with the HCA’s and learnt how important it is to have a foundation. I learnt and understood the value of dignity, respect, communication and comfort. These skills will stay with me for the rest of my career. During university, I had skills sessions where I practiced these skills in scenarios such as performing a bed bath or dressing a patient, however dressing a dummy is entirely different to helping a real human being. You can never simulate a real life situation that you get on a ward. What these skill sessions do teach me is the reasons behind my actions. My lectures give me knowledge however you can only gain experience with practice. Writing a fantastic essay does not make you a fantastic nurse. When I qualify, I don’t expect to become a super nurse who is above health care assistants and think I know everything. I hope to be a good nurse who understands the importance of the basics and team work. Don't give away the parts of nursing that let you connect with your patients. Caring comes through in your touch. A clean body and bed are important to the ill person in ways that you won't fully comprehend until the day when you're a patient receiving nursing care.


No comments:

Post a Comment